2008 Capital Budget - Update on Bike Plan funding & Next opportunity for input
Last week TCAT was joined by the Toronto Environmental Alliance and other individuals to urge the City's Budget Committee to increase funding for the infrastructure elements of the Bike Plan. You can view TCAT's press release and formal submission by clicking here.
TCAT has three main recommendations for the 2008 capital budget:
- Commit a minimum of $6.2 million to the 2008 Transportation Services cycling infrastructure budget
- Provide a minimum of $4 million in the Parks, Forestry &
Recreation budget for repairing and creating new multi-use pathways in
- Establish a staff position in Parks, Forestry & Recreation that
is dedicated to ensuring the integrity and connectivity of the pathway
So far, the increase to the Transportation Services budget has not found councillor support. TCAT acknowledges that this year's increase from $3.0 million to $5.5 million is very significant, however continued increases are necessary if the City is to complete the Bikeway Network by 2012. You can see TCAT's recommended funding schedule through 2012 by clicking here (it's on the 3rd page).
Better news came regarding the Parks budget, as Councillor Gord Perks moved a motion to increase the Bike Plan 5-year plan by $17 million between 2009 and 2012. Unfortunately, this does not included any increase for 2008. You can read the staff briefing note that outlines all the projects this money would fund by clicking here.
You can read more about what went on at Budget Committee last Tuesday and Wednesday on BikeToronto.
The next opportunity to voice your support for these budget increases will be when the Executive Committee reviews the budget on November 26th. There is no opportunity to speak at this meeting, but you can write the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. You should also write the members of the Executive Committee:
- Mayor David Miller, Chair - email@example.com
- Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shelley Carroll - email@example.com
- Glenn De Baeremaeker - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paula Fletcher - email@example.com
- Norm Kelly - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gloria Lindsay Luby - email@example.com
- Giorgio Mammoliti - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pam McConnell - email@example.com
- Joe Mihevc - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Howard Moscoe - email@example.com
- Kyle Rae - firstname.lastname@example.org
As always, please copy TCAT (email@example.com) on any letters or e-mail you write to councillors or committees.